This super easy hot chocolate recipe is a quick way to warm up a cold day or prepare for a special holiday treat – this might be just what Santa wants when he stops by your house!
You can use milk or what ever milk substitute you prefer – we love the rich combination of milk and whipping cream (or half-and-half).
Other than the minute or two it takes to measure out the ingredients, this recipe requires only that you stir it while it heats. You can even make it in a microwave.
(See also our White Hot Chocolate recipe for a different twist on hot chocolate.)
Signature Hot Chocolate
- 4 Cups Milk Can use milk alternatives. We used 3 C Milk and 1 Cup Half and Half (or whipping cream).
- 1/2 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2/3 Cup Signature Finely Ground Sugar Make this with our Cinnamon Chocolate Sugar, Lavender Sugar, Double Cocoa Sugar, Chipotle Chocolate Sugar, or Smoked Brown Sugar.
- Place milk, sugar and chocolate chips in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until chocolate chips are melted and well combined, stirring frequently.
- Pour into mugs and garnish with shaved white chocolate, marshmallows or whipped cream.
- (Add more chocolate chips if you prefer a sweeter, richer drink.)
- Place milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat to desired temperature, but do not boil.
- Remove from microwave and stir in chocolate chips until melted and combined with milk.
- Stir in sugar until dissolved.